I know you have seen some of these in person or in photos....
It is time to sell my home! The photographer comes in 2 days and we know the list price because I spoke with at least one Realtor. Now comes photo ready and then show ready! To me they are the same thing.
Below are the items I see most when showing home and at the photo shoot for a new listing. If you can avoid these, your home will show infinitely better. Obviously having the home clean is a must. So we are leaving that off the actual list. But a few things people miss when cleaning are
- Heating & cooling vents
- Fan blades
- Dirty windows
These are the top mistakes when setting your home up for photos or showings:
- Leaving your toilet seat up. Go put them all down! While you’re at it, fold the tp
- Leaving kitchen utensils out or dirty dishes in the sink. Clean ‘em or put ‘em in the dishwasher
- This goes for the bathroom as well. Put toilet bowl brushes/plungers under the sink and put away the tooth brushes
- Not leaving lights on. This is especially important for our area of northeast Wisconsin in the winter when it gets dark at 4pm. Just leave lights on for your ‘guests’ who are potential buyers
- Forgetting to remove fridge magnets and items. This just looks messy
- Taking too many items from the home. If you are selling the home vacant and you can keep some items in the home you should. But choose wisely.
- Not mowing the yard. This to me is mind boggling as a freshly mowed yard is the FIRST introduction to your home for a buyer or agent.
- Not vacuuming is huge. I don’t get it. Do this on your way out before a showing if possible but at the very lease very frequently. Buyers are guaranteed to notice.
- Putting away personal items. No one wants to see your pocket change or your medicines. Just put it all away.
These are all simple items to get in the habit of while you are looking to sell. As soon as you have a contract you can go back to whatever you like. But these few things will surely help sell your home quickly and for more money.
-Dylan A. B. Diersen
First Weber, Inc
Dylan has been quoted on by national new outlets and has multiple designations recognized by the National Association of Realtors. Also, he has consistently helped more and more people achieve their real estate goals by increasing service. You can see more blog posts at FoxCitiesProperties.com/blog or keep in touch on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WisconsinRealEstateExpert/